Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Summer Class and Housing Conclusion

I moved into the ha-suk-chib on monday. from the moment i displaced one month's rent from my pocket into ajumoni's hands ("aunt" - what one calls the lady who owns and runs the house), relief and contentment slowly permeated my mind and the moving-out doubts therein. once again the shoes adorn the hallway. i love my little yellow room. very basic and ascetic. it provides privacy, and allows agreeable amigos and amigas anytime i approve. a window invites some natural light, a fan mounted on the wall blows and buzzes. ajuma serves breakfast and dinner each day, authentic mouthwatering korean food. during meals i practice my korean with ajuma and her 2 daughters (2nd and 5th grade maybe). their living space lodges an upright piano which helps me communicate a little beyond my korean articulations. today i entreated them to a little beethoven, clementi, chopin, and some others they request that i sight read.

summer classes ended today. summer class friends leave soon. my predominately japenese class and i became good friends. likewise, the teacher, a rather playful and humorous lady, took us to lunch yesturday (and apparently went out drinking later - an event i missed as i was introducing some korean pianist friends to my quaint yellow shelter). Noticed oddity: korean's of 50 years or more can easily be mistaken for someone in there 20s. many of them, my teacher included, evade the loss of youth that haunts the thoughts of so many. they mask senility inexplicably and imperceptibly. it's entirely enigmatic.

tomorrow i embark on a 5 day adventure with the oles and korean cohorts - a journey to some sights in south korea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home