Saturday, August 14, 2004

Being Caucasian in Korea

if you're different you're usually either the shunned rotten egg or the eulogized rare delicacy. fortunately in korea, i am more akin to the latter. i dont mean to be narcissistic, but i can feel that a surplus of eyes survey my presence. others tell me im the handsome tall dark haired american, something to behold. this isnt the case in minnesota.

for instance, ive only been to one club in america and i was simply another sardene packed into the congested space. last night we went to harlem, the quintessential club: thin fog of smoke, screaming music (i had ear plugs), and a strobe light creating that paneled visual illusion. An ambiance condusive to lasciviousness, or dissorientation and escape. in contrast to my role as the ignored deposit on the wall, my presence evoked many smiling looks of interest. this purely physical attention is a rather unique experience for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home